Poster Repository











I was born in the early 80s, the era, which witnessed both the dominance and the death of analog, also the advent of digital, which became ubiquitous in all the aspects of human lives. What it implies is that, we have had experienced, everything one could possibly conceive of. Particularly, the cinema, which went through breakthrough changes. Even though, I admire digital cinema technologies, I instinctively prefer analog, especially, the photochemical film projection. But, I'd like the sound to be digital (Digital Track Sound - DTS, Dolby Stereo, Dolby Surround,  Ultra Stereo, THX sound, Sony Digital Dynamic Sound, Six track stereophonic sound, Dolby Digital, ) as it well complements film projection.

Since childhood, I invariably stopped and gazed at the film posters, while going on the road or whatever I did or do. I browsed through them, and that's is how I learnt about the films, actors, technicians, even languages (I seldom used books). Now, IMDB (Internet Movie Database), and many other sites, provide extensive information on films. However, I'd like to switch back to the 80 s and 90s and do what I did earlier. If it sounds crazy. I don't bother as this is what I'm made up of.

As a part of this endeavor, I'm in the process of creating an archive of physical and digital posters and creating both analog and digital poster repositories.

I will be sharing the digital posters on social media and my blog mindofbt.blogspot.com as well (they are not exclusive, and widely available on world wide web. Therefore, I don't own copyrights on them yet).


I decide to watch a film not based on its trailer or synopsis, but the poster. Poster designing is very crucial to a film as much as direction and cinematography, but it's least comprehended by domestic filmmakers. It is not about having your flamboyant cast in the poster, but the essence of the plot. I had worked in advertising and designed posters for leading brands. Therefore, I think I'm qualified to make this point.

The physical posters could be exhibited in a separate platform, if I succeed in collecting them and acquire the resources needed, to take it to the enthusiasts.

The films of the posters are not necessarily watched by me. However, I have watched most of the films of the repository. Predominantly, I'm adding the films that I have seen. The idea is also to test my memory on a number of films I would have seen so far

The initiative is perennial.

500th Poster:


I grew up watching Clint Eastwood's 'Dollars' Trilogy' (A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) at Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre in late 80s and early 90s. 'Where Eagles Dare' is one of my favorite films of him, which was also released there multiple times. Every time, it was exhibited, I made sure I watched it on the first day. That film was on obsession for me as in 60s, they had made an impeccable world war II film.

Among the very first scores i needed #OchaThevar to hear was from one of the soundtracks or scores, which not only manipulated my conscience but awakened me. He did listen to legendary #EnnioMorricone's trendsetting score for #SergioLeone's, #ClintEastwood starrer
"#ForAFewDollarsMore" (1965) main title. Apparently, he liked it.

http://mindofbt.blogspot.com/2020/10/obsessive-compulsive-disorder.html

After fleeing #Sedapatti along with #SSR, consequently joining Indian Army and fighting for the allied forces in the second World War, #BhavaThevar on returning to Madurai, introduced English language speaking films to #Thangapandian, who inturn introduced Pandians' to English language speaking films exhibited in Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres Sri Mappillai Vinayagar from the mid of 1980 to early 2000. Now, #BT is entrusted with introducing the same to #OchaThevar.
http://mindofbt.blogspot.com/2022/06/poster-repository.html

Clint Eastwood is an icon and it permeates into our generation. Bhavathevar - Thangapandian - Balaji Thangapandian - Ochathevar.
Having served the #BritishIndianArmy and turning into a rebel by joining #NethajiSubashChandraBose's Indian National Army (#INA), my grandfather #BhavaThevar continued the habit of watching films based on the second World War in #MaduraiRegaltheatre. He introduced my father to #ClintEastwood in "#WhereEaglesDare", and when the same film was re-released multiple times in #MaduraiMappillaiVinayagar Sri Mappillai Vinayagar  and #ManickaVinayagartheaters, our father #Thangapandian introduced my brother and I to Clint Eastwood. In essence, Clint Eastwood has been one of the favorite actors and directors of generations. He turns 92 years young today. And, this is how we show our admiration towards him:

http://mindofbt.blogspot.com/2020/05/clint-eastwood-is-90-years-young-today.html

#WhereEaglesDare (1969) trailer and synopsis:
Under the command of British Major John Smith, an international commando unit dressed in Nazi uniforms parachutes into the Bavarian Alps with the objective of rescuing a World War II Allied officer from a German castle-fortress known as the Castle of the Eagle. After one of the commandos is found with his neck broken, Smith first rendezvouses with agent Mary Ellison and then with another agent, Heidi, who, by posing as a local barmaid, succeeds in getting Mary into the fortress by introducing her as a cousin. Following the murder of a second commando and the capture of three other men, Smith and his second-in-command, American Ranger Morris Schaffer, are forced to surrender. But they escape and gain entry into the fortress by crouching on the roof of a cable car. Once there, Smith reveals to Schaffer that the Allied officer is really an actor, and that the real purpose of the mission is to discover the identity of German spies in England. After the actor-imposter has been rescued, Smith tricks the three "captured" commandos into exposing themselves as German agents. Now that they have the vital information they were sent for, Smith, Schaffer, Mary, and the imposter must face the problem of escaping. Having wired the fortress as well as certain sites in the village to explode at intervals, they make their way to a cable car. Once aboard, they outwit the Germans, reach the village, leap off the cable car, and, with the enemy still in hot pursuit, make their way through a canal to a garage. There they commandeer a bus and drive to an airfield where a plane is arriving to take them back to England. Once they are in flight, Major Smith forces one of the mission's organizers, Colonel Turner, into confessing that he is a German agent. To prevent humiliation to Turner and his family, as well as a national scandal, Smith permits Turner to meet a more honorable death by allowing him to leap from the plane.
Source: Turner Classic Movies: TCM
https://youtu.be/khIZwbXDF0o

My grandfather Bhavaththevar fought in the second world war. He was part of the Indian infantry, which served British/Allied forces. He kept abreast of films made on world war II. In the late 60s, he took my father to Regal talkies, Madurai for 'Where Eagles Dare'. In mid 80s, when this film was re-released in Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar), my father took me and my brother. Perhaps, it's in my bloodline, that's why I'm obsessed with events and films on second world war. Today being Clint Eastwood's birthday, I watched this film again. Nostalgic.

Comments

Popular Posts