Memories of a Shrine | Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar Theatres



Memories of a Shrine | Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar Theatres:

Can a theatre make profound impact on the existence of people? Perhaps, It can be a source of entertainment, happiness or even a source of nostalgia. But, can it be a source of enlightenment? Yes, it was. Then, in Madurai, we were not only notoriously famous but diversified, versatile and unique, in essence, holistic. We are coached to co-exist on both the ends of the spectrum, while some of us have become scientists, some are alleged murderers. Whatever we were, are and will be, can be attributed to two reasons: 1) Our fathers, who instilled courage in our hearts and freedom in our minds, and invariably encouraged to take the road less travelled and 2) The theatres - Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar. 

The English language speaking films screened in these theatres and we watched there from the mid 1980s to mid 2000s shaped us become what we are - either a loser or a hero. And, it's upto you to perceive what we are. 

However, we are always proud of our experiences.


The best movie theatre in the world was ' Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar'
While, influential individuals of film fraternity, are talking about their best movie theatre of the world in this 'Academy original series video', because of the fact that, I'm truly a cinephile, I think, I'm qualified to talk about mine. And, I have already spoken enough in various occasions. But, i can' stop repeating.
The theatre is dead now. For those, who existed in 80s and 90s of Madurai, could be empathetic with what i'm referring to. 'Mappillai' and 'Manicka Vinayagar' theatres, quenched our thirst for diversified preferences of cinema. 

We were exposed to multiple cultures, countries, languages, thus, the barrier of geographical boundaries was dissolved, and the need for physically visiting places so as to study them was eliminated.
In essence, they acted as a portal to world cinema or even the world itself. There is more about them, and it is inexplicable. Perhaps, a documentary on the rise and fall of them, would be made in future. 

Remembering 1987. It was almost a stampede to get an entry for this film in Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar)


'Predator' (1987). Arguably, one of the iconic sequences in the history of cinema - Dutch meeting Dillion. I wish I could get into the universe of this film, like in the 'The Last Action Hero' and fight alongside Dutch. I vividly remember the mob surrounding the four roads leading to Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatre (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) just to get tickets for this film. It was a Friday night show. Remember, it was late 80s. The traffic block was up to 2 kms from the theatres. In those days, people hardly used cars. There were only bicycles and motorcycles. I was sitting on my father's Ind - Suzuki's tank staring at a person wearing 'lungi' who threw his bicycle into a gate of the theatre asking them to open the gates. But, I don't remember how did my father manage to get the tickets. All I remember was I was sitting on the first row of Manicka Vinayagar theatre and I almost got heart attack in the first scene where an alien mother spaceship detaches a preadtor to Earth. Predator is one of the films like 'Saving Private Ryan', why I still exist. I cherish such films. Of course, I'm indebted to Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres. They were my windows to the outside world as Internet didn't come into existence or ubiquitous in 80s and 90s. Both Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres were certified George Lucas founded THX certification for three years in a row, from 1992 to 1995  i suppose.


Every patron of Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres has such a fascinating story. Nostalgic. Until mid 90s, we didn't know anyone in the theatres, we had to get tickets like any other person. Then, fortunately the manager of Mappillai Vinayagar soda shifted to our neighborhood and became our family friend. Then we always ask him to book tickets for us.

The iconic sequence of Dutch meeting Dillion:
https://youtu.be/VD-fBj4d9Ck

I cannot share in a single post or blog, how much do i admire the theatres Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres. Simply stated, whatever, I was, I'm and I will be, is solely because of two reaons, firstly, my father and secondly the theatres. When internet was not ubiquitous or did not come into existence, those theatres were my window to the world. I equate to how Budda got enlightened under a tree, it was there (Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres) I got enlightened if I can say so.
Therefore, this is not comprehensive, there will be addendums forever. 


Can you love a theatre? If yes, how much? Whatever I'm, I'd attribute it to two reasons, my father and Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres Sri Mappillai Vinayagar. Not only did they instill wisdom but experiences. It was the time, when internet was not ubiquitous. Being in a tier III city like Madurai, which is inherently versatile, I could learn the global events, it was primarily because of the foreign language and English films they exhibited from 1983 to the mid of 2000. This logo projected on the screen through a slide every time the screen's cover was lifted is registered in my subconscious. Since today is an auspicious day of Lord Vinayagar, I remember the place where I got enlightened or became eccentric, if I can say so. Now, coming to the question, I asked in the beginning, Can you love a theatre? If yes, how much? The answer is, this much or infinite. 


#ChukNorris turns 80! 


I was introduced to the idea of action cinema neither by Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger, nor Bruce Lee, but by Chuck Norris. I vividly remember, it was in 1986, my father took me to an action film exhibited at "Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre". I was astonished and couldn't comprehend the plot owing to my age of 3, but celebrated the explosive action and American patriotism. The film was Chuck Norris starred "The Delta Force". Some blame me for giving my allegiance to the American military, I don't have a choice, because i grew up watching films of such kind in Madurai. Today, 10th March 2020, an action hero, who was cherished by generations of my father and me, Chuck Norris turns 80. Birthday wishes.

 

#ChuckNorris is 80 years young! 

How do the people of Madurai of my generation of 80's born and my father's generation of 50's born know Chuck Norris? 

It is because of Madurai Sri Mappillai Vinayagar Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayager theatres' existence from 1980 to 2005. Therefore, we are obliged.


From 1986 to 2000, this still of #ChuckNorris from "#TheDeltaForce" was placed besides the staircase of the first class entrance of my temple #MaduraiMappillaiVinayagar theatre (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar). There was another still of Arnold Schwarzenegger from Commando as well at the same display board for lobby cards.

My personal relationship with commander #JamesBond began when I was five, when I actually watched 'The Living Daylights' at Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre in 1988. Even though, I'm not a British, I aspire to direct Bond as my behavioral traits are enormously manipulated by the chutzpah of Bond. 


The home theatre or an actual theatre I intend to build on will feature a #70mmfilmprojection, #35mmfilmprojection and #DolbyStereo sound system, certainly not the boring digital (4K) system. Because I'm old school. Moreover, i love photochemical film to digital. I grew up watching films projected in photochemical 35 mm film projections namely #Westrex and #Devi in Madurai (India) Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres respectively from 80s to mid 2000. The acoustics, speakers and the architecture of the theatre will be based on auteur George Lucas defined #THX certification. Back in 90s my holy places Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres received THX certification for three years in row.


#RolandEmmerich is the master of science fiction disaster films. In 1996, anticipation was built for months by repeatedly exhibiting the trailer for the first part #IndependenceDay at our Madurai Mappillai and Manicka vinayagar theatres. We were waiting for the opening day, when the day happened, It was a Friday, I vividly remember watching back to back first day evening and night shows with my father and brother. Subsequently, watched the same movie again on Saturday morning 10:30 am show with mapla Hemanth Ramesh, and the very next day, Sunday afternoon 2:30 pm show with friend Ashok Raja Isaac.Then, it was repeated numerous times, until we exhausted the monies. Now, after 20 years, the sequel #Resurgence is back. However, with soaring ticket prices, we wouldn't be able to watch it multiple times at theatres as we did with the first part, but certainly we retain the same level enthusiasm for Independence Day series.


Although, I physically exist in the timeline of 2020. I always mentally exist in the timeline of 1983 to 2000, when our Mappillai and Manicka Vinayagar theatres (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) of #Madurai were fully functional and only exhibiting English and select Hindi films. I do not want to come out of this time period as I was the happiest person in the entire world, along with few, watching English films of all genre. I spent most of my days and nights there, than at school and college. Post 2000, witnessed the debacle of the theatres because of various complex reasons. I desperately want to invent time machine and travel back to that time period. I'm certain that many would accompany me.

If I can recall one of my earliest memories, it was watching master #BruceLee's "#WayoftheDragon' (1972) at the Madurai Sri Mappillai Vinayagar theatre in 1988. My father took my brother and I to every action films of international origin released in Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres. That's how we became admirers of Chuck Norris, JackieChan and many, in the 80s and 90s, way before CDs and internet became ubiquitous.


Do you know how much I admire Steven Spielberg? If I ever meet him, I'd hug and won't leave him, until I'm detained. After all, I grew up watching his 'Indiana Jones' in Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) theatres.

I consider both Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan to be my staple. I vivdly remember watching Saving Private Ryan at Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre in 1999. That's when my obsession with the history of second world war began. 

Until Schindler's List happened, Hollywood considered Steven Spielberg to be a blockbuster filmmaker. That wasn't his true self. When he intended to Schindler's List, studio was sort of reluctant. He did. And, it changed everyone's perception of Spielberg. He earned the title auteur. He didn't stop there, he was simultaneously working on something never been done before. He brought back dinosaurs into existence, with Jurassic Park, which not only revolutionized visual effects industry, but sort of marked the inception of Digital Track Sound (DTS).

Saving Private Ryan was the first ever Hollywood production, which precisely depicted D - Day. I have seen interviews and read articles of world war II veterans stating that Spielberg created the real chaos existed during D-Day in the film. I make sure I watch Saving Private Ryan once in a month or two since 1999. Still, I'm not able to completely consume it as I get distracted by the emotions of the characters and get lost imagining them.

It was in 1990, the third installment of Rambo series was released at Madurai Thanga Regal theatre. Since I was very much fascinated after watching 'First Blood', the very first installment of Rambo in VHS, back in mid 80s, I needed to watch Rambo 3, the very opening show. Now, I need to give some context. The people of #Madurai (Southern India), especially cinephiles belonging to mine and my father's generation believed in both realism and larger than life influences, not the current generation of Madurai, which has lost the essence of the city to the influence of Madras or mainstream regional cinema (Tamil). Therefore, when this particular sequence came on the screen, where Rambo had to prove his competence by winning a traditional sport of Afghans (lifting a lamb's skin from a speeding horse), the entire theatre stood on the seat and whistled for straight five minutes, including me. Then I was 7 years old. That's how our city Madurai and it's theatres Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) played a pivotal role in fueling the cinema enthusiasm among us. Remember, we seldom watched regional films. If we did, it had to be exceptional. 

I did watch Rambo 3 the first day first show.

We cinephiles at Madurai celebrated the release of this film "Cliffhanger" in Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) in early 90s as a festival, something equivalent to 'Chithirai' festival.


#Indiana_Jones_and_the_last_crusade:(1989): One of the most engaging adventure franchises ever made by Hollywood. It was written by visionary #GeorgeLucas and directed by #StevenSpeilberg. The film was released at least thrice in a year from 1990 to 1995 at Madurai Mappillai and Manicka Vinayagar theatres. Every time it was released, my father, brother and I went and watched. I can say, I grew up watching Indiana Jones.

Back in 80s and 90s, the only production company or studio that I had known was '20th Century Fox'. Part of the reason was, I spent almost those two decades at Madurai Mappillai and Manicka Vinayagar theatres. Apparently, there was a contract with #20thCenturyFox and the theatres, therefore, predominantly screened their films. In mid 90s, I was introduced to Warner Bros, United Artists, MGM, Paramount, Universal, Orion as agreement was entered with them as well. It was indescribable happiness, every time their logo appeared on the screen. It set the mood for films. Even now, I get excited watching their logo. Nostalgic. 


May the 4th be with you! 

Globally, 4th May is considered to be '#StarWarsDay', as it corresponds with the franchise's iconic catchphrase 'May the force be with you.' I'm being a diehard follower of 'Star Wars' is indebted not only to its creator, George Lucas, but our 'Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar' (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) theatre. Back in 1997, when internet wasn't​ ubiquitous, this theatre released the restored versions of Star Wars Episode IV to VI. Had they not released then, I would have known Star Wars only later. It is potentially a crime for a Cinephile.

Honestly, I didn't know what a lobby card is, until today, at least the name "#lobbycard". Because, I grew up watching international films especially English language in my temples Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar Sri Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres from mid 80s to middle of 2000. They had display boards beside the first class entrance filled with rectangular shaped stills and plotline of the films exhibited, not the regular posters. I used to read them, only then did I enter the screens. I didn't understand most of them though. They remained vivid in my subconscious but only I didn't know what they were called as. Now, I have remembered, thanks to "Beyond the Box Office"  and i'm nostalgic about the theatres Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar, where I got enlightened. Even though, these theatres are physically functional they died spiritually and emotionally in late 2000s, after they stopped screening English films due to apparent regulatory pressure in screening regional films and eventually sold. I'm even more excited as I have come to known about the lobby cards by the film on it's 21st anniversary, needless to say which I'd die for watching, auteur Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan. 

Can a film change someone's life? Yes, it can and did for me. It was auteur, #StevenSpielberg's '#SavingPrivateRyan' (1998). After watching it at the Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) in 35 mm film projection and Manicka Vinayagar theatre (35 mm, DTS) in 1998 and 2001 respectively, the aspiration of becoming a second world war military historian triggered in me.


Happy Birthday Bond. #JamesBond. #TimothyDalton. You were the first bond seen by us on the big screen. Both Living Daylights and Licence to Kill were released during early 90's and ran for weeks together with maximum occupancy at Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre . I still vividly remember about our struggle at the counter to get tickets for Friday night show.

Unlike the 90s kids of India, who make too much noise in social media by watching films in multiplexes and streaming sites, I grew up watching Sylvester Stallone's #Rocky and #Rambo series from late 80's in the standalone theatres (mostly, Sri Mappillai Vinayagar & Manicka Vinayagar) of Madurai. I stood in the long queues, fought, whistled. These characters are among those, I grew up watching. Therefore, no one can emotionally own Rambo as much as I do.


Clint Eastwood is the favorite actor of my father and me. My father took me to all of his films exhibited in Madurai 'Mappillai Vinayagar' and 'Manicka Vinayagar' theatres (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) through the 80s and 90s. He is our favorite because arguably no one can handle pain and death as he does.


I grew up watching Clint Eastwood's 'Dollars' Trilogy' (A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) at Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre in late 80s and early 90s. 'Where Eagles Dare' is one of my favorite films of him, which was also released there multiple times. Every time, it was exhibited, I made sure I watched it on the first day. That film was on obsession for me as in 60s, they had made an impeccable world war II film.

Possibly, I wouldn't have become a cinephile without Arnold's Predator,  Commando and Terminator. I cannot imagine 80s and 90s without these films. I grew up watching them in Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres. 


I had a very fulfilling, surrealistic dream. I watched Interstellar projected in film format with the primitive track sound certified by THX at our Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar Theatre. I did not want to come out of the dream. But the conscious mind influenced the subconscious as the sun rays beamed onto my face. I desperately want to get back to those golden days of watching foreign language movies at Madurai Mappillai and Manicka Vinayagar theatres, I need the potential to achieve it using time travel or let my subconscious mind be obsessed with that period forever.

Original score is yet another favorite category of mine. I seldom listen to songs. I prefer On Sound Tracks (OST). Back in 80's & 90's I used to stand back alone when the end credits were rolling on, with eyes closed and listened to OSTs at Madurai Mappillai and Manicka Vinayagar theatres. That's how the obsession with OST or sound started.

I was naive. I did not know the technical term of his compositions. Yet, we liked them. Our Madurai Mappillai & Manicka Vinayagar theatres graduated us. I stayed back at the theatre, until the end credits were over. Thus, i learnt that he was the conductor, composer of all Spielberg's movies and George Lucas's Star Wars as well. As the enthusiasm for his work grew, I completely stopped listening to songs. And I prefer OSTs to songs. Happy Birthday John Williams.


I learnt that Steven Spielberg's career and life were never smooth. It appeared to be, though. I see parallels between us. I don't know why. But, maybe I watched too much of Spielberg's film in Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) from 80s to mid of 2000s. What I know for certain is that we have always been instinctive and derive ideas from our own existence, and not external.



'The 5 Man Army' is one of the favorite films of my father. He watched it at Madurai 'Regal Talkies' in the early 70's. When it was rereleased in Madurai Manicka Vinayagar theatre (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) in the late 80s, he took me. Thus, it became one of my favorite action films ever.


Back in 1994, #Speed was released at both Mappillai and Manicka Vinayagar theatres of Madurai. Upon its release, my father, elder brother, and I, went for the movie, and didn't get tickets for four consecutive days. It ran house packed five shows a day for four weeks in both theatres. Then, somehow, we managed to get tickets for a Sunday evening 8 pm show. The movie turned out to be one of the longest ran films in the history of Mappillai and Manicka Vinayagar theatres, and our personal favorite film either. Now, watching again after numerous viewings on Star Movies. Feeling nostalgic.

I vividly remember the struggle we had to endure to get tickets to Steven Spielberg's 'Jurassic Park' (1993), at the Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar). It was a scene of celebration. This film ran for months together, breaking the previous records of the theatre. Indian studio executives also did the irrevocable mistake of dubbing 'Jurassic Park' in regional languages, which cannibalized the revenues and existence of standalone theatres exhibiting foreign language films.


Official 30th anniversary poster of #Predator. It was released on 12th June, 1987.

Credit: Predator


#Predator is among the films, that I remember it by heart. I vividly remember the experience of watching it at theatres in late 80s. Our Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres were showing Predator. It was the Friday opening night, there was a blockade of people (not vehicles) standing on the roads leading to the theatre, for up to two kilometers, anxiously waiting to get tickets. That scene was equivalent to a mob. It was actually a miracle that we got tickets, and that were only for the first row of Manicka Vinayagar theatre. My heart almost stopped pumping in various combat sequences, especially, the opening, when an alien ship departs from it's mother ship to Earth, and predator chasing Dutch (Arnold Schwarzenegger). Remember, there was no digital sound nor digital projection installed then, it was analog, but the quality was exceptional. That's why Mappillai Vinayagar theatre was awarded with prestigious 'THX Certification' for maintaining world class standards. I'm always obliged to Mappillai Vinayagar Theatre Sri Mappillai Vinayagar for imparting films like Predator and many other, and creating cinephiles like me.


#HomeAlone (1990):

' Kevin: I made my family disappear'


Its humanly not possible to forget Macaulay Culkin of Home Alone series.

Only we, who were born in the early 80's witnessed perfect movies of all genres, and transition of cinema from analog to digital, importantly in theatres, whereas, the generation x is a product of internet and torrent, they didn't get to see the pure cinema and watched them in the synthetic format/versions.

From the mid of 80s, to the early 2000, my father ensured that every Friday night we (Pandians) were taken to either Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar or Manicka Vinayagar Sri Mappillai Vinayagar theatre for an English language speaking film. From the mid of 90s, my mapla Hemanth Ramesh and I ensured that no matter what every Saturday morning precisely at 9am, we were in the ticket counters of these theatres. Those born in the 80s actually experienced what happened in the 90s- the golden time period of everything, the so-called "90s kids" were then sucking the nipples of their milk or water bottles. 


17 November:

A #BondGirl I'm in love with:

Birthday wishes #SophieMarceau aka #ElektraKing from #THEWORLDISNOTENOUGH (1999).


Back in 1999, for the release of Ian Fleming's Pierce Brosnan's  as James Bond 007 "The World is Not Enough", Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre transformed to Digital Track Sound (DTS) from George Lucas certified THX certified stereo audio system. I vividly remember watching it on the first day first show. Not only the sound was remarkable, but the 35 mm film projection of Westrex projector. 

DTS installation:

Mappillai Vinayagar theatre's THX certified stereo sound was upgraded to Digital Track Sound (DTS) for James Bond's "The World is Not Enough" in 1999. A year later, Manicka Vinayagar was air conditioned and DTS was installed for "Red Planet" in the mid 2001.

I watched The World is Not Enough first day night show with my father and the subsequent day, Saturday morning show with a friend. And multiple times thereafter. 


Red Planet was released during our XII th standard examination, the coming Monday we had our English first paper exam. But Manicka Vinayagar was upgraded to DTS a week before, and that Friday Red Planet was released. While my friends were reluctant to watch a film, I insisted that its our temple, which has been upgraded and we need to ensure its quality is state of the art. Therefore, we must go. After finishing the special class for the select few (we were  part of it) in the morning, we went home, ate and came directly to Manicka Vinayagar and watched Red Planet. The air conditioning was phenomenal and the DTS effect was mind blowing. In hindsight, it was a wise decision. 


The Guardian says 'DIE HARD' (1988) is a quintessential American action film ever made. Indeed, it was. Back in late 80s, when this film was released in my holy place Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar), my father took us. Thus, we became die hard followers of not only the 'DIE HARD' franchise but Bruce Willis. Truly, no action films made now barring few (likes of Mad Max, Dark Knight, Lord of Rings) can match the films made in 80s and 90s. Imagine, they only had limited access to computer generated visual effects and largely relied on practical effects and characters. I'm grateful to Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres, otherwise I wouldn't have watched them.

33 years go today on 20th July 1988, #BruceWillis '#DIEHARD' was released, directed by Director: #JohnMcTiernan, renowned for action films.

Die Hard (1988) official synopsis and trailer:

A New York City cop faces overwhelming odds when his Christmas visit to California is interrupted by a terrorist invasion of his estranged wife's office building.

CAST

#AlanRickman, Alexander Godunov, Bonnie Bedelia, Bruce Willis

Trailer: https://youtu.be/gYWvwkXreaI

Courtesy: 20th Century Fox


I vividly remember watching it at my temple Madurai Manicka Vinayagar theatre back in 1996 . Filmmaker Jan de Bont became quite famous after Speed, which became one of the best action films ever made in the history of cinema. Therefore, Twister had lot of expectations. And, it did quench the thirst of action adventure fans and imparted scientific understanding of tornadoes.
Now, OchaThevar aka OT is seeing it. 
NASA's chief scientist Jim Green always asks guests what is their “gravity_assist” – that person, event, or other thing that inspired them to choose a career in science and space exploration. While Jim Green has not asked this question to me yet, and I don't have a career in science and space exploration, but my curiosity lies there, my gravity assist has always been my father Thangapandian and Sri Mappillai Vinayagar (Madurai_Mappillai_Vinayagar_Theatre and Manicka_Vinayagar_Theatre) 

Die Hard:
My father, my brother and i were a huge fan of the Die Hard franchise especially Bruce Willis. 
This action packed Christmas thriller was fascinating. The 35mm photochemical film projection in Mappillai Vinayagar Theatee coupled with THX certified stereo sound was exceptional. 


Considering the fact that Madurai is still a tier II  city, imagine what it would have been in the 1960s. It was kind of a trading hub for the villages in its vicinity. But for some unknown reason, perhaps it is legacy that the people of Madurai were versatile. Even though, Madras was/is the capital of Tamil Nadu, Madurai remained the political and cinema capital of Tamilnadu, until the so-called liberalization democratized everything. What became a success at Madurai, was more likely to become a success story across Tamilnadu. Now that i have set the context. Let me jump to Dr. No.

When Dr. No was released at Madurai Parameswai theatre (located at Karimedu) in the middle or the late 1960s, our grandfather Bhava Thevar took my father. Reportedly, Parameswai theatre released all of the Bond films till 1980s and some hindi films apart from regional releases. That's is how my father was introduced to Sean Connery as Ian Fleming's James Bond. In the late 1980s, our father rented the video cassatte (VHS) of Dr No, and we sibling brothers and sisters watched at home. Then, the journey of James Bond began with the first release of the new James Bond films and the second release of the old Bond films in Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres. That's how we were introduced to James Bond.

Synopsis

Arriving in Jamaica to investigate the suspected murder of a fellow agent and his secretary, James Bond eludes several attempts on his life. With the help of CIA agent Felix Leiter and local fisherman Quarrel, Bond follows the sinister trail of Dr. No to his island Crab Key. Shortly after landing on the beach with Quarrel, Bond encounters alluring shell collector Honey Ryder. The three uninvited visitors are hunted down by Dr. No’s private army, who kill Quarrel and take Bond and Honey to Dr. No’s magnificent lair. Their megalomaniac host, Dr. No tells Bond that by utilising the nuclear laboratory on site, he plans to destroy the US Space program as his first move towards world domination. Bond outwits Dr. No who falls victim to his own scheme and dies. Rescuing Honey Ryder, Bond commandeers a motorboat and together they escape from Crab Key, seconds before it explodes, leaving the final devastation of Dr. No’s laboratory behind.

Cast

Sean Connery, Ursula Andress, Joseph Wiseman, Bernard Lee, Jack Lord, Anthony Dawson, Lois Maxwell, John Kitzmiller, Zena Marshall, Eunice Gayson, Peter Burton, Yvonne Shima, Michel Mok, Marguerite LeWars

Producers

Harry Saltzman
Albert R. Broccoli

Director

Terence Young

Release Date

6 October 1962 (UK)
8 May 1963 (USA)

World Premiere

5 October 1962, London Pavilion Cinema, London

Locations

Jamaica; Pinewood Studios, Bucks, UK

Music

“James Bond Theme” – written by Monty Norman, played and arranged by the John Barry Orchestra

Vehicles

Bond arrives in Jamaica in a Pan Am Boeing 707; Bond’s Sunbeam Alpine, Strangways’ Ford Anglia 105E, hitman’s 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air convertible; Dent’s Vauxhall PA Cresta sedan, Leiter’s 1961 Chevrolet Impala sedan; 3 Blind Mice’s LaSalle hearse

Gadgets/Weapons/Technology

Bond’s Walther PPK 7.65mm

Bond’s Berretta

Tarantula

Dent’s Smith & Wesson

Nuclear reactor

Dragon Tank’s flame-throwers

Cigarette laced with cyanide

Geiger counter activator

Trivia

Vodka Martini is Bond’s first cinematic drink in Dr. No

We get a rare glimpse of the interior of Bond’s London townhouse. The only other films that show Bond’s living space are Live And Let Die and Spectre

The only Bond film not to have a pre-title sequence

Norman Wanstall created the muffled sound for the silenced gun that Bond uses which is not like the real sound of a silenced gun. His cinematic sound has been copied so often many people believe this is what a silenced gun really sounds like

Production Designer Ken Adam incorporated many moving parts on his sets. In the decontamination scene Bond and Honey are transported through showers on a ‘moving walkway’ now known as travelators


I vividly remember watching the red martain surface on the big screen of Manicka Vinayagar theatre on a Saturday morning in the late 1980s.

After fighting today's battles, with injuries sustained, while on the way back to the shelter, I'm listening to Jerry Goldsmith's composition "The Dream" for Paul Verhoeven's "Total Recall'. 
I'm not only teleported to the red planet but nostalgic about my father taking my brother and me for watching Total Recall on its first release in my temples Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre and it's subsequent releases in Manicka Vinayagar theatre. Sri Mappillai Vinayagar 
However, the battle for tomorrow still looms large. 
And, this is the way.


It was between 1988 and 2000.
Our father typically takes us (me and my elder brother) every friday night to Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar or Manicka Vinayagar theatre for watching the newly released or the continuous run of an English language speaking film. 
In the late 80s, for some reasons, I couldn't recall, why our father took us for Arnold Schwarzenegger's newly released "Commando", on the first day noon show to Mappillai Vinayagar theatre. We didn't get tickets. It was housefull. The subsequent Friday we ensured that we reached the theatre by 13:45 hours, as the show started at 14:10 hours, still we didn't get tickets. It was housefull. The third subsequent week, we reached by 13:30 hours, we didn't get tickets. It was housefull. The fourth subsequent week, we ensured that we reached the theatre an hour before, 13:00 hours. We did get the tickets. We had to stand in the queue for an hour. Commando was an unprecedented success at Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre. It ran housefull for 3 months in a row, about 100 days. 
I Dont need to count the number of times we watched Commando in the theatres, VHS, and satellite channels as it could near infinity. Just imagine, a film touching 10 days is considered to be a blockbuster now. But way back in the late 80s, with only a handful of english speaking and understanding folks, this movie influenced the cinema enthusiasts of Madurai and became a super hit. These posters were kept in remembrance of the massive reach  of Commando for years near the first class entrance of Mappilai Vinayagar theatre. Colonel Matrix will always prevail in our lives. 


Remember, if my memory serves me correct, the only theatres in Madurai, which were THX certified for 3 years in row from 1992 - 1995 were Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres. I vividly remember the "THX Certified" logo displayed on the entry doors of the first class tickets, which were Rs 15 and Rs 12 respectively. 


This blog is not exhaustive. There will be addendum. 

And, here is #BT's story of a spacefarer:
http://mindofbt.blogspot.com/2020/08/story-of-civilian-stargazer-spacefarer.html

Authored by Balaji Thangapandian aka #BT - a spacefarer, who is also curious about film-making, connectivity technologies and military history.
mindofbt.blogspot.com

tbalajiocha@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/balaji.thangapandian

https://www.facebook.com/FilmTheorist/

k

Comments

  1. I lived in madurai when i was a kid from 1990 to 1995 in sammatipuram which is close to kalavasal where midland theater is. We used to watch every English movies like blob, rambo, indiana jones etc.. those two theaters are exquisite those days, a privilege and luxury for normal people in to the western world.. i still remember the fresh popcorn smell and that tasty icecream sold in the varandha .. Miss those times..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts