Steven Spielberg | I Dream for living

'I dream for a living'
Born 78 years ago today, on 18th December, 1946, his passion for becoming a filmmaker began when he couldn't even remember his age. His father was a war veteran, reportedly served in Bhutan during World War II. He taught him on the tactics employed by the military. Intrigued by his father's words, at the age of 13, with the super 8mm camera, his father bought him, he made and won a prize for 40 minute war film 'Escape to Nowhere'. What happened rest is history. A recipient of 3 Oscars: best picture and director for 'Schindler's List' (1993) and best director, 'Saving Private Ryan' (1998) and innumerable accolades.

He deserves the credit of creating adventurous characters, including the resurrection of dinosaurs, and bringing aliens to the backyards of our homes. Undisputedly one of the most successful and influential filmmakers of our times. Happy birthday, auteur, Steven Spielberg.

I was introduced to the idea of cinema in the mid 80s with auteur Steven Spielberg's 'Raiders of The Lost Ark' (1981) at Madurai 'Mappillai Vinayagar theatre' (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar). Then films became my rest of my life.

Steven Spielberg on the sets of 'Jurassic Park' (1993). This film marked the advent of the digital age. What was digitally achieved in this film, in the form of primitive animal, dinosaur maneuvering became seminal for his future visual effects. Special effects never crushed the essence of Spielberg's films. They were only used to better convey the emotions.

I vividly remember the struggle we had to endure to get tickets to #StevenSpielberg's 'JurassicPark' (1993), at the Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar). It was a scene of celebration. This film ran for months together, breaking the previous records of the theatre. Indian studio executives also did the irrevocable mistake of dubbing 'Jurassic Park' in regional languages, which cannibalized the revenues and existence of standalone theatres exhibiting foreign language films.


Steven Spielberg on the sets of 'Schindler's List' (1993). The emotionally hardest film he ever made.

I wasn't cruel enough then to understand the Holocaust, concentration camps, genocide, humanity, when I watched Steven Spielberg's 'Schindler's List' (1993), in the mid 90s at the Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar). But, I was grief stricken. I learned the film's profound pain in the following years. This film transcended Spielberg from mainstream to art, and earned him, his first Oscar for best director.

Steven Spielberg on the sets of 'E.T: Extraterrestrial' (1982). It is one of the most loved films emotionally by children 38 years since its release.

The children in the Steven Spielberg's universe are vulnerable and sad, but they are powerful, brave and heroic. It arises from that fact that Spielberg had troubled childhood. I could empathize his childhood encounters. It was in the late 80s, 'E.T: Extraterrestrial' (1982), was released several times at Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) and Manicka Vinayagar theatres. I also remember watching it on VHS.


Steven Spielberg on the time magazine cover edition of July 1985. Well deserved.


I learnt that Steven Spielberg's career and life were never smooth. It appeared to be, though. I see parallels between us. I don't know why. But, maybe I watched too much of Spielberg's film in Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar and Manicka Vinayagar theatres (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) from 80s to mid of 2000s. What I know for certain is that we have always been instinctive and derive ideas from our own existence, and not external.

Steven Spielberg on the sets of 'Munich' (2005)
My understanding of the conflicts between Israel and Palestine, which is lasting for centuries transformed into comprehension, after watching auteur, Steven Spielberg's, 'Munich' (2005). It was in May of 2006, Munich was screened at the 'Studio 5' screen of 'Sathyam', Madras. I was intrigued by the thought provoking execution of the film by Spielberg and watched continuously for six consecutive days from Friday to next Thursday, 18.50 hours show.

Steven Spielberg on the sets of Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Can a film change someone's life? Yes, it can and did for me. It was auteur, Steven Spielberg's 'Saving Private Ryan' (1998). After watching it at the Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre (Sri Mappillai Vinayagar) in 35 mm film projection and Manicka Vinayagar theatre (35 mm, DTS) in 1998 and 2001 respectively, the aspiration of becoming a second world war military historian triggered in me.


Until my last breath, I will remember Saving Private Ryan, Captain Miller, FUBAR - Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition, by heart. As someone who admires Steven Spielberg as much as I admire cinema, I cherished his birthday, by watching one of my favorite works of him, #savingprivateryan again. Even though, I have a log on number of times I watch a film, this is an exception, as I easily would have exceeded 100. Because of the fact that i'm making sure I watch it once in two months, ever since its theatrical release in 1999 at our Madurai Mappillai Vinayagar theatre and various formats - satellite television channels, CD, DVD, Blu Ray copy. And, it will continue until my last moment.

Photo: Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks in the set of production of Saving Private Ryan.

Live long life especially for making ' Duel ', Saving Private Ryan ', ' Indiana Jones ', ' Jurassic Park ', ' Jaws ', Tintin ', ' Schindler's List ', ' Minority Report ', ' Catch Me If You Can ', ' The Terminal ' and for all the movies you ever made, and transitioning from indie to mainstream filmmaker.

He dreams for a living. And, his dreams actually worked. Mostly. He turns 76 today. 
Did you know who he is? 
When it comes to filmmaking, I don't want to be a deputy to anyone because what I create is instinctive and uncompromising but to three filmmakers, and he is among them. This man is Steven Spielberg. 

Three filmmakers are: 
1. Stanley Kubrick 
2. Christopher Nolan 
3. James Cameron
Authored by Balaji Thangapandian aka #BT - a spacefarer, who is also curious about film-making, connectivity technologies and military history.








Comments

Popular Posts