Deep Impact | Downfall



'Tomorrow, I'll be cursed by millions, but that's how it is.' 
Downfall/DerUntergang (German, 2004)

A disturbing film based on true accounts of Hitler's last moments at a bunker in Berlin, when surrounded by Red Army of Soviet Union, retold by his personal assistant, Traudl Junge. 


76 years ago today on, April 30 1945, Adolf Hitler, committed suicide, marking the beginning of the end of the world war II. Month later, Nazi Germany, unconditionally surrendered to Soviet Union (Allied Forces). Hitler's personal assistant, Traudi Junge, wasn't aware of what she was getting into, later did she realize the monstrous nature of her Führer, as stated by her in the film. While many were reluctant to look back at one of the darkest periods of known human history, German filmmaker, Oliver Hirschbiegel, made 'Downfall'. We cannot ignore history, even if it is evil. Sometimes, we need to be remembered of.

In 2006, I watched it at Six Degrees screen of Satyam, it was a Friday night show. I came to a standstill and was pondering the horrors and brutalities of the events happened between 1939 and 1945. I couldn't leave the theatre I was asked to move. I was standing on the road next to Satyam's two wheeler exit. It took me hours to realize that I was immobile, only then did I leave for home. 'Downfall', profoundly impacted me. An essential watch.
It was nominated for best foriegn language film in Oscars 2005.


He rises from a soldier to the leader of a nation, and almost conquers the entire Europe, and is of the view that a new world order is possible through military conquest. His army succumbs, consequently he retreats in a bunker. Yet, he doesn't reason with his generals for political solutions. Eventually, commits suicide along with his wife and orders to dispose of his body so as not to be taken by his enemies. 


This character study of Adolf Hitler, played by Bruno Ganz for the feature film 'Downfall' (German: DerUntergang, 2004) is nonpolitical. I don't embrace Neo-Nazism nor fascism. I'm only sharing this post for historical and educational purposes.


Authored by Balaji Thangapandian aka #BT - a spacefarer, who is also curious about film-making, connectivity technologies and military history.

Comments

Popular Posts