Character Correlation| Southpaw | Jake Gyllenhaal


Character Correlation | Southpaw | Jake Gyllenhaal

'When the sun rises
I wake up and chase my dreams
I won't regret when the sun sets
Cause I live my life like I'm a beast'
Southpaw (2015)
Addiction to soundtrack:
I seldom listen to songs as they typically don't provoke my mind and body. But, this soundtrack/song '#Beast' from an exceptional film 'Southpaw', directed by #AntoineFuqua, starring #JakeGyllenhaal is an exception. It has profound impact on my mind and body. Whenever, I listen to it, I'm able to do more of what I normally can't. Bodyweight exercise.


' I knew nothing about boxing, when I started really. And I knew that in order for me to pull it off in anyway, I was going to learn how to do it. And when I set my mind to something, I just won't stop until I do it. Its something I pride myself on, its something I hate about myself. By the end, I felt like I could do it .' - Jake Gyllenhaal  [ Southpaw, 2015, Dir: Antoine Fuqua]



After days of deprivation of sleep and food, the training sequence of Southpaw drives me to lift weights again. I know, it does not help anyway in building the body physically and mentally. But, this iswhat engages me.



I bet, you would probably never find such a dedicated, motivated director and actor.  Antoine Fuqua needed the Jake Gyllenhall to become a real fighter for Southpaw, he did not want to fake it. The director, who is a fighter himself joined with versatile indie actor Jake Gyllenhall on the physical journey, they trained for two times a day throughout the schedule even on Sundays, until Antoine Fuqua felt the Jake Gyllenhall suited to be a boxer. This kind of director and actor is a rare breed. 



My admiration for Jake Gyllenhaal is becoming increasingly obsessive as he lives the character than enacting. His transition from from a Nightcrawler to a boxer in Southpaw is incredible. Incidentally, the scripts he choose are independent films. Certainly this movie quenched my thirst for hardcore action as it is directed by The Training Day Fame Antoine Fuqua. 





Where I'm confined, I'm forbidden from suspending a bar from the ceiling. Therefore, I make use of a reinforced concrete slab to pull myself up and down, essentially pull up. I was able to do in total, of 200, 500 pushing myself against the planet earth's gravity, practically push ups, and other associated physical routines, across the day in a phased manner. However, it has declined by a significant proportion because of the deprivation of the necessities. However, the Renaissance is believed to be beginning. 
After fighting today's battles, with injuries sustained, while on the way back to the shelter, I'm listening to #RobBailey's composition "#MothafuckingBeast"for #AntoineFuqua's "#Southpaw".However, the battle for tomorrow still looms large. 
And, this is the way.


Every night after enduring the day's battle, on my way to the shelter, I listen to this soundtrack, and feel kind of rejuvenating.
This remix of Eminem's track "Loose Yourself" for Jake Gyllenhaal's starred Antoine Fuqua's Southpaw manipulates me to resume hitting the wall with bare hands. The fact remains that the injuries sustained consequently deter me from exercising for months. Still, I do. A vicious cycle. 
 However, the battle continues tomorrow and  the defeat is inevitable.  And, this is the way. 




Authored by Balaji Thangapandian aka #BT - a spacefarer, who is also curious about film-making, connectivity technologies and military history.





Comments

Popular Posts