Earth Day

On the occasion of '#EarthDay' (22nd April), let us remind ourselves, how insignificant we are, not only as a species, but as a planet. Do pay close attention to this image, shot by NASA's #Cassini spacecraft, 1.5 billion kilometres from Earth, while it was beyond Saturn on July 19, 2013. This was the first picture of Earth, captured from the interplanetary distance. In the context of vastness, of space, we are obsolete. That pale white dot is Earth. Everything we fight for, love, hate exists in that white dot. Do you still believe in reasoning? I don't.

How insignificant we are: #CarlSagan persuaded the scientists of the 'Voyager 1' spacecraft to turn the camera towards Earth, when it was nearing the edge of our solar system in the early 90s. Pictured here was the one taken by Voyager 1, billions of miles from our planet. The pale blue dot is Earth. Moreover, this is what he had to say:
“That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. On it, everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you have ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives...[E]very king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every revered teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there–on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.”


Why do I believe in nihilism? The answer is here in this image. Moreover, does it not reinforce my thought, which i stated in July 2018?
'Once you witness the entirety of planet Earth or the darkness of the universe, I can tell you for certain, you can't continue with the beliefs you had on Earth even if you return back. I'm no astronaut nor have I been to space. But, I imagine.


#BT - spacefarer

Images credit: NASA National Aeronautics Space Administration

For more of my study on space exploration, I would suggest you to visit my album "Space Exploration", in my Facebook account:

https://www.facebook.com/balaji.thangapandian

Comments

Popular Posts