Machines Don't Die. Machines Do Exist.


Machines Don't Die. Machines Do Exist. 

Machines are the mechanical extension of my biological existence. 
I find machines consoling and not the humans because machines reciprocate and humans don't and can't. Therefore, machines live forever, at least in my mind. Below are some of the machines, which empathise me, with whom I have had developed an emotional bond and our story in brief.


Because of the proximity of the railway colony to our neighborhood Ellis Nagar, Madurai, it housed a reasonable number of descendants of Anglo Indians. Their lifestyle built aspirations. I vividly remember an Anglo-Indian named Denzel, riding a Yezdi. His father was an inspector of police. I wondered how an Anglo-Indian could become an inspector of police in Tamilnadu. Nevertheless, I always wanted to ride his Yezdi. I could never and still I haven't been able to.

I happened to spot a "Yezdi",an indian variant of Czech motorcycle "Jawa", which reminded me of our days with Anglo-Indian friends back in 80s and 90s in Madurai.


Flywheel, one of the greatest human inventions ever. Perhaps, the very first step towards mechanization and destruction. Every machine we know and don't cannot operate without one. 


00:00 Hours, Nov 8, 2005, my supercomputer became self - aware ( attained artificial intelligence). It used to compute complex algorithms and solved mathematical equations considered to be humanly impossible in micro seconds and more importantly, replaced human mind and emoted emotions. 15: 23 hours, July 25, 2015 it lost its consciousness. The picture of brain of my supercomputer is posted for the reference of humankind.

It costed my spine. I had to replace it.
I feel rejuvenated. Am I a cyborg? Perhaps, I'm because of the biomechanics of my existence. 

I happened to spot a functional Indian successor of Japanese "YamahaRD350, "Rajdoot", which was a race bike back in 1983 until its discontinuation in 1989. Apparently, the motorcycle behind the Rajdoot is vintage British manufactured "Matchless". Through 80s and 90s, most of the businessmen, police personnel and school headmasters of Madurai drove a Rajdoot. 

My cable TV operator also had one. I was minsincule standing beside the motorcycle. It was parked with the side stand. Yet, I couldn't even touch the handle bar. I always wanted to ask him to take me for a ride. But I never did. I doubt if I can now because either he doesn't have the Rajdoot or he is no more. He needs to be tracked. 

A dream machine like a time machine.
Remembering 1980 - 2000. Throughout, this timeperiod all you needed to do so as to be a hero was own a Yamaha RX 100.
11th October:
This glider by Wright brothers was the world's first fully controllable aircraft. Today in 1902, was of paramount importance as Wright brothers posed along with their glider. It is fascinating, how aviation has unleased within a century. The fact remains that we always are indebted to Wright brothers. 
Source: National air and space museum, Smithsonian institute.
https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/wright-brothers/online/fly/1902/glider.cfm

I'm increasingly becoming obsessed with steam locomotives as not only is it a mechanical engineering marvel, but a giant moving machine with thousands of components, natural elements - water, coal, sand and hundreds of men working in tandem. Moreover, thinking of it brings nostalgia of my 80s and 90s of the rail route I travelled from "Madurai" to "Bodinayakanur" through the Western Ghats of "Usilampatti", "Andipatti" and "#Theni". However, perhaps as a nation, we failed to retain or rejuvenate our heritage, especially the rail lines, but apparently #British doesn't. An intriguing documentary about how an entire nation collectively came forward in restoring one of the Britain's pride, "The Flying Scotsman", a steam locomotive built in the 1920s.
Video & image source: bbc.com

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=377606970635409&id=100968311632611

Even though, I'm a minimalist, I own these machines emotionally. Because machines reciprocate humans can't and won't. 

No machines fascinate me as the vintage does.


Authored by Balaji Thangapandian aka #BT - a spacefarer, who is also curious about film-making, connectivity technologies and military history.



Comments

Popular Posts