Memoir | Speed | Personal Best


Memoir | Speed | Personal Best

Under certain pressurized situations, I had to attain speed, which otherwise wouldn't have been possible in ordinary circumstances. Here are some of them:

For only twice in my life it happened. Not all the time, the power gets unleashed. It happens in isolation. For only twice in my life it happened. I felt stronger, I was powerful, I felt superior, I was larger than life, I was fast, I was dominant, I did not let anyone over take me, but I did take over them. For only twice in my life it happened. 

It was during my XIth standars inter - school athletic competition, the event was a track  4 * 100 meters relay. I was at the 2nd 100 metre waiting for the button to be passed on to me. The button came, I completed the 2nd 100 metre and passed on the button. The relay was over. We won. Only after coming back to the pavilion,  was I informed that it was my best race ever. I ran faster than our school's (Seventh Day Adventist Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Ellis Nagar, Madurai) main contender, athlete from Sports hostel ( their only task is to train all the day from dusk to dawn and be the leader in all track and field events). Our school was losing in all the events, but the victory in the relay event changed everything. 

It happened again, a decade back, I did not let any one to take over, but I did take over them. I was fast, I was ahead of everyone. I felt that i was the creator. I rode the car at a particular speed. I don't know why did I do? But covered the distance of 450 kms, Madras to Madurai in 4 hours 30 minutes, with 15 minutes break at Ulundurpet. I was fast. For only twice it happened in my life. The power unleashed. Will it ever happen again? When, why, and how are not known yet? Nature has the answer. 

I feel like doing things that appeal to me but maybe not for others.

At 20:00 hours today 12th March 2016, I completed continually driving for straight 18 hours, with no rest, no sleep (not even for a minute), almost no staple, but only with a few bottles of plain water. For reasons unknown, I have always been wanting to do it. Circumstances made it happen. I started at 02:00 hours. [Madurai - Trichy - Villupuram - Thiruvanamalai - Vellore - Chittor (A.P) - Vellore - Thiruvanmalai - Villupuram - Trichy - Madurai.] Total kilometers covered was 1200. The answer to the question why? 
Part of the reason is I'm building certain characters, I need to experience them firsthand so that as a writer I'd be in a better position to define the characterization. So I go through what's is possible for me.


Ethan Hunt does not alone work for Impossible Mission Force ( IMF). He has greatly manipulated me to be part of their team then. When JJ Abrams' Mission Impossible 3 was released in 2006, I was assigned the task of reaching Satyam theatre from Velachery in just 10 minutes. The show was to begin at 22: 15 hours, I was given an old Hero Honda CD 100 bike with fuel in reserve at 22:00 hours. I drove real fast, real mad at an average speed of 110 KM/HR, just to prove that I'm capable of being a member of IMF and reached the Santham screen exactly a minute before the show started. I would have died. It did not matter. All that mattered to me at that moment was, to become a member of IMF. Thus, I started working for IMF along with Ethan.

Authored by Balaji Thangapandian aka #BT - a spacefarer, who is also curious about film-making, connectivity technologies and military history.






Comments

Popular Posts